Who dreams of family vacations crammed into theme parks or resorts with swarms of other people?
Overpriced, tourist-y vacations certainly exist in the lives of parents who want to indulge their kids now and then. Most of the time though, vacations for the kids that force you to slow down and spend time together as a family are always the most rewarding.
Long Weekend Getaways
We recently returned from our 8th annual vacation to Jekyll Island Campground with about twenty other families from our hometown. We can’t seem to stay away, so the legend must be true.
You haven’t heard about the legend?
We arrived on Friday afternoon to set up camp and visit with friends before searching out a local, scrumptious seafood restaurant. This year, we headed to Seejay’s Waterfront Cafe, where they are known for their low-country boil and crab legs.
Saturday and Sunday we rode bikes, jogged, worshiped, ate dinner together, and watched some college football.
There were late night golf cart rides around the island with spooky stories told by our own talented storyteller, Mrs. Vickki. Somehow, these late nights always seem to end with a trip to Dairy Queen.
Good times, good times.
10 Reasons to visit Jekyll Island Campground
- Affordable woodsy campsites on 18 acre campground
- A bird sanctuary within the grounds that the kids adore
- Meandering bike trails that completely circle the island
- Transportation of the island can be golf carts, red bug carts, or bicycles
- Family friendly, Southern hospitality from staff and surrounding camper folk
- Uncrowded nearby beaches, horseback riding, picnic area, and pier fishing
- Good clean fun and slow pace atmosphere that is safe for all but especially children on bikes
- Unspoiled natural habitat island protected by law for only 35 percent commercial development
- Secluded island that is minutes from I-95, Jacksonville & Savannah/Hilton Head International Airports
- Beautiful retreat shaded and enveloped with palmettos, maritime forest, and magnificent oaks dripping with Spanish moss
Don’t have an RV, you say?
Grab a tent and come on, as they have primitive sites as well. Just bring your potato salad with ya when you join us for dinner.
My top ten list doesn’t even begin to uncover all the family adventures to be found on Jekyll Island Georgia. Trust me, I know. We can’t stay away, remember?
Make just one visit and you’ll see … you will always return too.
Contact the Jekyll Island Campground at (912) 635-3021 to start your next family adventure.