This post may contain compensated links. Refer to my disclaimer for more info.
Attack the flu with goodness before the sickness has a chance to settle in! Oh yeah! We’ve had to fight the flu early this school year. Yep, the first week of school! But — we caught it early and won the battle! I’m sharing my secret sauce concoction (recipe) that works around our house to run off sick germs before they take over. There’s also a video below!
[I’m not a doctor & make no claims of this sauce. It’s just an honest opinion of
a Southern Mom sharing a recipe that takes the gusto out of sickness at our house!]
Fight the flu
In our house, we’ve learned to jump on the remedy train the moment that a cold or other symptom is apparent. Princess complained about her throat hurting as she plopped into bed after a long day of school and ball practice. I should have started my tried-and-true home remedy right then but I let her go on to sleep. Thanks to the following, her sickness was short but it could have been even shorter if I had started it right away.
Fight the flu fast
The very next morning, Princess had a sore throat, runny nose, chest congestion, etc. I gave her a vitamin drink right away and started making her first dose of Mama’s secret sauce. By that afternoon, the body aches and other symptoms began and I knew that full-blown flu was on its way.
These are the essentials (strictly followed for two days) that helped her recover quickly:
- Bed rest all day (and I mean rest – as in, sleeping as much as possible!)
- Airborne vitamin drink twice a day
- Secret Sauce twice a day
- Warm tea or broth at least once a day
- Steamy shower once a day
- Avoid sugar (the body can’t heal with lots of sugar in it!)
- Avoid cold food and drink (room temperature and warm is better!)
- NyQuil-type meds once a day before bed (for olders – careful with dosage!)
Fight the flu recipe
I made her follow the list above for two full days to a “T”. The third day we’d followed them again, mainly because it was Saturday. She felt really good but I didn’t want a relapse so I made her take it easy. By Sunday she was almost back to normal but made her stay home from church just in case.
I’m listing the ingredients and instructions below on a recipe card that you can print out and have handy anytime you need it. I’m also including a video that I made for you that gives you step-by step.
- 4 Tablespoons room temperature water
- 1/4 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar (with the Mother)
- 2 Tablespoons of raw honey
- Pour room temperature water into a small dish
- Chop fresh garlic and add to dish
- Pour vinegar into bowl
- Pour honey into bowl and stir until blended
- Drink right away
- For best results, drink this sauce twice a day!
Fight the flu video
Enjoy these details in this video, friend:
I hope this helps you and your family shake that flu bug fast! Tell me, do you have some favorite remedies you love?
Share your faves below!