This post may contain compensated links. Refer to my disclaimer for more info.
Right now, my life and home are more chaotic than ever. This Simplify Life Challenge couldn’t have come fast enough ….. I went to bed with dishes in the sink, the whole house is a disaster, I need to buy groceries, and I have so much to get done before my head hits the pillow tonight.
Real life, honey! Sound familiar?
When my life gets in this situation (which seems to happen every year about now), it’s time for an intervention – a challenge to keep myself accountable and I plan to drag you along for the ride in case you need a little intervention too. These challenges work because we can both complete the tasks without getting overwhelmed. Piece by piece, it gets done.
No matter what month of the year it is, follow along with this first week and the three weeks that will follow as a way to get our homes in order (slowly and without stress) over the next month.
You up for the challenge, Sistahs? Let’s get with it then …..
Simplify Life Week One
This week, we’re gonna focus on the heart of the home – our kitchen and dining room. I’m starting here because it’s where so much living actually happens for families. Whether we like it or not, we need to spend time in the kitchen to feed our people and nobody wants to cook in a messy kitchen! Can’t. Do. It.
Don’t believe my house is a hot mess? Here’s are shots of the kitchen and dining:
Typically I have a system in place that helps me simplify life in the kitchen but I’ve gotten out of the habit. I’ll talk about that awesome life hack in a minute.
But first, I need you to stop reading this, set your phone timer to twenty minutes and then remove all the junk (that doesn’t belong) from your kitchen and dining room. Find a box or bag to put the misplaced items in – don’t waste your time putting away these things yet. When you finish that, clean up until the timer buzzes.
Ready. Set. GO! I’ll see you in twenty.
Whew! Now look around at what you accomplished in that short time frame. My two rooms look amazingly better. Take a look:
Simply Life Homework
Your missions for the rest of the week, should you choose to accept, are the following:
- Clean up food and dishes immediately after dinner every night. If I get comfortable on the couch after eating without cleaning the kitchen, it is torture to get back in there and do what needs to be done.
- Run the dishwasher immediately after “dinner clean up” each night. If you don’t have a dishwasher, handwash all dishes before bed.
- Put away clean dishes FIRST thing every morning. Dishes are put away for all to use and life is good.
- Load dishwasher with dirty dishes throughout the day. This keeps dirty dishes out of the sink all day long and gets them all ready for when you are going to turn on the dishwasher after dinner every night.
- Find or make a Spring decoration for the kitchen and the dining room. It’s amazing how much a vase of Spring flowers in the kitchen windowsill or a bright centerpiece on the dining room table will lift your mood and delight your family (whether they admit it or not).
- Put away all the misplaced items that you put in that box during clean-up time. Take this opportunity to purge all that you can and then use this week to put the rest away.
- Pick one area that needs an overhaul and organize it this week. Whether it’s the Tupperware area, the pantry, or the junk drawer (yes, we all have one of those), give it a good clean and pat yourself on the back afterward!
Simplify Life Challenge
This simple dishwasher system keeps the dishes under control. If you have kids at home, I suggest making these their chores. My oldest’s job was to load dishes at night, and my youngest knew that she always had to put up clean dishes in the morning.
It just takes intention – let’s simplify life together!
Let’s connect on Facebook or Instagram. I’ll be asking how you are doing on your Simplify Life Challenge & sharing photos of how I’m doing over here — so look for me! Oh yeah, when you finish your challenge each day this week, you have my permission to eat a cupcake!
Are you in for the Simplify Life Challenge for March?
Feel welcome to go through this Wife challenge at your own pace and any month of the year. The next post in the progression of taking a month to get our homes in order and lose the chaos is How to Declutter Clothes & Chaos in Your Laundry Room this week!
More you might enjoy: