Have you heard about the wacky cake that doesn’t require eggs, milk, or butter to be moist and delicious? When we were going through a food allergy scare around here, I desperately wanted to find something that halfway resembled chocolate cake without the eggs and dairy. I was shocked at how amazing this chocolate cake turned out! Then we found out that it was a thing ….. some call it wacky cake, some call it crazy cake, war cake, or great depression cake. Who knew?
The ingredients and instructions for a printable recipe card are below but here’s the basic idea ->>>
You don’t even need to dirty up a bowl. Preheat the oven. Grease your 8 inch-ish bundt or square baking pan. Add the dry ingredients (all 5). Making a small well and add the vinegar. On the other side of the pan, make another small well and pour the vanilla into it. Make a slightly larger well and then pour the oil into it. Pour the water over it all. Stir with a spoon until well blended. Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
How easy is that?
Here’s your a printable recipe card for your wacky cake:
- 1½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your 8 inch-ish bundt or square baking pan.
- Add the dry ingredients (all 5) directly to baking pan.
- Make a small well and add the vinegar.
- On the other side of the pan, make another small well and pour the vanilla into it.
- Make a slightly larger well and then pour the oil into it.
- Pour the water over it all.
- Stir with a spoon until well blended.
- Put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
I hope you enjoy this lifesaver of a recipe. Whether you need to omit the eggs and other dairy or you need to pinch those pennies, honey, this simple chocolate cake is a keeper! Although this cake doesn’t need it, you can add a tiny bit of chocolate icing or a light dusting of sifted confectioners sugar on the top to make it even more spectacular.
What do YOU think about this wacky cake recipe?
—>Make sure that you are subscribed so that you won’t miss all of the WifeLife encouragement and loving you’ll receive here, Sister friend. Follow along daily with The How-to Guru Facebook page or Instagram. <—
More you might enjoy: