My homemade cream of chicken soup recipe has saved my fannie on more that one occasion. I began buying cans of cream of chicken soup as a new bride because so many recipes called for it. When I realized how fast it is to make this from scratch, I’ve never looked back. This homemade cream of chicken soup tastes better, is better for you, and way cheaper. Triple score!
As day #17 of 31 days of delicious easy recipes for busy wives, this homemade cream of chicken soup can be easily converted into any cream of _____ that is called for in a recipe. All you really need is a small amount of a specific veggie to cook and then create a ‘sauce’ around. Onion, garlic, mushroom, or celery all can be interchanged.
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
A video, plus the ingredients and instructions for a printable recipe card are below but here’s the basic idea ->
Saute one of the veggies listed above for 3-5 minutes in butter or oil on medium and then sprinkle 2 Tablespoons flour into pan. Immediately pour 1/2 cup broth into skillet and get rid of lumps. Add 1/8 cup milk, and salt and pepper. Stir and cook 2 more minutes on medium. If it’s too thick, add water or broth. Take off of heat and enjoy.
Double this recipe for more than three or four people.
That’s it, y’all.
Here’s your printable recipe card for homemade cream of chicken soup:
- 1/4 cup of onion, mushrooms, celery, or garlic
- 2 Tablespoons oil or butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour of your choice
- 1/2 C broth
- 1/8 milk
- dashes of salt and pepper
- Saute one of the veggies listed above for 3-5 minutes in butter or oil.
- Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons flour into
- Immediately pour 1/2 cup broth into skillet and stir to get rid of lumps.
- Add 1/8 cup milk, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cook 2 more minutes on medium.
- If it's too thick, add water or broth. Take off of heat and enjoy.
- Double recipe for bigger meals or casseroles.
Do you already use a homemade cream of chicken soup recipe, friend?
31 Days of Delicious Easy Recipes for Busy Wives series:
Make sure that you are subscribed so that you won’t miss the rest of the quick and easy meals this month (you’ll also automatically receive a short, helpful read about less chaos and more Jesus when you confirm your subscription!). You can also follow along with The How-to Guru Facebook page or Instagram.